Latest key messages from Mana Ake
Investment confirmed until 30 June 2022
The Ministry of Health has confirmed their intention to invest in Mana Ake for the next financial year although details of funding level and key priorities have not been worked through at this stage.
The Provider Network, kaimahi and kaiārahi will continue to support school clusters to understand and respond to wellbeing and mental health concerns.
Schools and school clusters should work with their kaiārahi to prioritise the work their teams do, to ensure kaimahi have capacity to meet the wellbeing needs schools are most concerned about in a timely way. This could include:
- Using Leading Lights, which provides tools and resources for use in the classroom as well as information to share with whānau, as a first port of call.
- Using ERMS Online to connect all schools with General Practice and vice versa, and for any health-related concern for a child/young person.
- Supporting whānau by:
- Providing drop-in advice and guidance sessions, and parent information forums, to reduce demand for individual support for tamariki.
- Sharing information about the online workshops supported by the Mental Health Education and Resource Centre (MHERC). Parents can log into the presentations from home and these types of programmes are seen as a valuable resource, especially for families in rural centres.
- Sharing the public-facing Mana Ake website with school communities through newsletters and social media.
Leading Lights / professional development
There are a range of professional development webinars coming up which are available to school and primary care staff including GPs and nurses:
- 23 June – Child development
- 18 August – ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
The sessions are run by a range of practitioners with special interest in their fields including psychiatrists, psychologists, general practitioners (GPs), Resources Teachers Learning and Behaviour (RTLBs) and physiotherapists.
Previous sessions, which have covered topics such as anxiety, emotional regulation, eczema, gender diversity and self-harm, have been recorded and are available to view on Leading Lights.
Download a PDF of the key messages here.
About the Author