COVID-19 update from South Island Alliance - Capturing patient preferences and key medical information
Why use Acute Plans?
- Key information for acute teams can be kept up-to-date and relevant to the patient.
- They enable secure information sharing between hospital, primary and some community-based clinicians across the South Island.
- Health professionals can easily read, write and edit plans as appropriate, even if they are not the original author.
- St Johns clinical control centres can access Acute Plans.
- There is an alert in Health Connect South to inform clinicians that the patient has an Acute Plan.
What should I document in an Acute Plan?
Acute Plans can contain simple information, such as alerting staff that a pain plan exists and where to find it, through to more detailed information about social situations or complex medical issues. For example:
- current clinical decisions/guidance resulting from goal of care discussions for this episode
- enduring not for resuscitation (DNACPR) decisions
- specific medical interventions that are either indicated or not indicated e.g. IV antibiotics, non-invasive ventilation
- key patient treatment goals and priorities
- decisions or actions captured in other forms (such as COAST in Southland, Shared Goals of Care in Canterbury DHB and OtTER in Nelson Marlborough Health), so the information is regionally consistent and accessible across the health system
- any social or medical information that would be useful to acute services treating the person in an exacerbation of their illness.
Acute plans are part of the South Island suite of electronic shared care plans. They are hosted on Health Connect South and accessible across the South Island health system via HealthOne.
Advance Care Plans (ACP) are the place to document in detail patients’ needs and wishes for end-oflife care and have legal validity.
For more information about shared care plans in your area:
Nelson Marlborough Health: email@example.com
Canterbury DHB: firstname.lastname@example.org
West Coast DHB: Helen Rzepecky email@example.com
South Canterbury DHB: Paula Hogg firstname.lastname@example.org
Southern DHB: AdvanceCarePlanning@southerndhb.govt.nz
Download this information.
About the Author