Canterbury's older people are being offered a day's free access to exercise classes designed to improve strength and balance to celebrate International Day of the Older Person (1 October).
The classes, available across Christchurch, North Canterbury and the Selwyn District, are part of Sport Canterbury’s Strength and Balance Project and take on the health system's common vision of supporting older people to independently live stronger for longer.
Sport Canterbury’s Strength and Balance Project Lead, Rebecca Logan, said: "These classes are a chance for us to recognise the importance of the older members of our community and celebrate them by providing free access to classes followed by a social morning or afternoon tea.
"The classes are designed for older adults and have a strong focus on improving strength and balance to promote our vision: Live Stronger for Longer."
On Monday 1 October, ten exercise classes will be offered in various locations. Another class, also free of charge, will be offered on Thursday 4 October. Please phone or email to register for these classes, as spaces are limited.
Circuits for Seniors: A low impact, circuit style class which enhances strength, balance and cardiovascular fitness.
YMCA Lifefit Circuit: Interval, weight and cardio stations to improve overall strength and stamina.
- Monday 1 October, 11am. YMCA Bishopdale, 13a Bishopdale Court.
- Monday 1 October, 11am, YMCA City, 12 Hereford Street, City Centre
- To register - firstname.lastname@example.org or 03 359 8320
Active Seniors: This social class includes a combination of easy, low impact, dancing, circuit, sport skills and stretching.
Low Impact Circuit: This is a low impact, fun exercise class aimed at older people and people getting back into fitness – excellent for heart fitness, strength and balance.
- Monday 1 October,10am. Lincoln Events Centre.
- To register - 027 212 3861
Strength Training for Everyday Balance: A practical class that aims to increase your understanding of balance and how to improve it.
- Monday 1 October, 9.30am. Paradigm Performance, 15/42 Marriner Parade, Sumner.
- To register - email@example.com or 021 0278 5963
Adapted Yoga and Pilates: Build strength to improve posture and increase balance, while also reducing stress levels. There are no fancy yoga outfits, just friendly, fun and supportive people.
- Monday 1 October, 11am Pirahau Room, Te Hāpua Centre, 341 Halswell Road
- Monday 1 October, 11:30am, Adapted Yoga and Pilates, 34 Yaldhurst Road.
- To register - firstname.lastname@example.org or 972 5452
Tai Chi: an ancient Chinese exercise system, which integrates mind, body and breath by way of slow, gentle, effective movement.
- Monday 1 October, 1pm. Prebbleton Hall, 617 Springs Road, Prebbleton.
- To register - email@example.com or 027 827 2791
Live Stronger for Longer - Balance Class: A simple, functional class to help strengthen and lengthen muscles, while reducing the risk of falling. Always varied, always fun, and in the supportive environment of a women’s only facility.
Your Space Pilates: A seated Pilates classes for those wanting to increase core and leg strength as well as balance. Participants in this class are gently guided through the exercises with support.
For more information about approved Strength and Balance classes, please visit https://www.livestronger.org.nz/